Working with a credit repair company could provide some much-needed relief if you’re struggling with significant credit issues. Credit repair companies can identify and remove inaccurate or incomplete information from your credit reports, with the goal of improving your credit history and score. Doing so can lead to getting you access to better interest rates that can ultimately save you money, especially on large purchases.
But it’s essential to choose a company with a good track record to protect yourself from potential fraud. To help you find a reputable credit repair service, we’ve researched over a dozen companies, analyzing their services provided, pricing, transparency, and company reputation. Here are our top picks for the best credit repair companies available.
The 5 best credit repair companies of February 2024
- Best overall: Credit Saint
- Best for low initial work fees: The Credit People
- Best for additional features: The Credit Pros
- Best for couples: Sky Blue Credit
- Best for DIY credit repair: Credit Versio
1. Best overall: Credit Saint
About: Credit Saint is a long-standing credit repair service that has been helping customers with their credit since 2007. It offers all the services you’d expect from a credit repair company, including a free initial consultation, dispute letters to the credit bureaus and creditor-specific intervention letters, inquiry tracking, and credit education for customers.
Unlike many competitors, Credit Saint has a decent reputation with its customers and very few complaints with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Plan information and costs:
- Credit Polish – $79.99 per month, plus $99.00 initial work fee. Services: unspecified number of monthly challenges to the three credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion; credit score analysis and tracking; free access to educational credit content and online chat; and 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Credit Remodel – $99.99 per month, plus $99.00 initial work fee. Services: all services of Credit Polish, plus inquiry targeting, access to one credit report and score, a guide to building credit, and real-time account syncing.
- Clean Slate – $129.99 per month, plus $95.00 initial work fee. Services: all services of Credit Polish, creditor interventions, and access to three credit reports and scores.
Credit Saint is a solid choice for those seeking credit repair assistance, and its tiered services make it suitable for many situations. Its customer service team is also accessible through many channels if you have questions or concerns. While Credit Saint isn’t the lowest-price service around, its industry reputation, array of features, high customer satisfaction, and 90-day money-back guarantee make it worth considering.
2. Best for low initial work fees: The Credit People
About: The Credit People has been in business since 2001, and it has helped more than 100,000 customers struggling with their credit. New customers get a free credit consultation to discuss their specific situation with a company representative. Its services also include unlimited disputes, credit score tracking, monthly credit scores and reports, and higher-level interventions and disputes for premium account holders.
Like Credit Saint, The Credit People offers tiered plans based on the level of service you require. But unlike Credit Saint, which charges up to $99 to start working on your credit, The Credit People’s initial work fee is just $19, no matter which plan you sign up for. It offers two pay-as-you-go plans and one flat-rate plan. This company has no recent consumer complaints with the CFPB.
Plan information and costs
- Standard – $79 per month, plus $19 initial work fee. Services: unlimited disputes to all three major credit bureaus, a before and after snapshot of your credit scores.
- Premium – $99 per month, plus $19 initial work fee. Services: all the features of the Standard plan, plus monthly credit reports and scores, creditor interventions, and escalated dispute and validation requests.
- Flat rate – $499 for six months, plus $19 initial work fee. Services: all the features of the Premium plan for a six-month flat rate.
The Credit People is worth considering if you need moderate assistance with your credit without all the bells and whistles of a service like Credit Saint.
It’s also a great choice if you have a limited budget and are seeking a credit repair service that offers low initial work fees. These fees can be costly, so the fact that The Credit People charges just $19 sets it apart from competitors. While this company doesn’t offer a money-back guarantee, it does let you cancel at any time, and you won’t be charged for that particular month of service.
3. Best for additional features: The Credit Pros
About: Launched in 2009, The Credit Pros has grown to become a reputable credit repair company with over 1 million customers. It provides all the services you’d expect from a credit repair company, plus some extras. The Credit Pros also offers clear guidance on its process, explaining how it works from start to finish.
In addition to helping clients repair their credit, The Credit Pros also offers tools to help them better understand their finances and credit. It provides a more holistic credit and budgeting solution than many competitors. The Credit Pros offers three plans, and it has no recent complaints with the CFPB.
Plan information and costs
- Money Management – $69 per month, plus $119 initial work fee. Services: reports and scores from one credit bureau, ID monitoring, TransUnion credit alerts, real-time account syncing, budgeting tool, bill reminders.
- Prosperity – $129 per month, plus $129 initial work fee. Services: all the features of the Money Management plan, plus disputes with the three credit bureaus, creditor interventions, cease and desist letters, and reference letters for credit card applications.
- Success Plus – $149 per month, plus $149 initial work fee. Services: all the features of the Prosperity plan, plus reports and scores from the three credit bureaus and access to a credit-builder loan.
Those seeking additional money management features beyond just credit repair might find what they’re looking for with The Credit Pros. In addition to typical credit repair services like dispute letters and creditor interventions, users also get access to identity monitoring, a budgeting system, bill reminders, and a credit-builder loan with the top-tier account.
That said, The Credit Pros isn’t the cheapest option around, so it may not be the best choice if you’re on a tight budget and prioritizing affordability.
4. Best for couples: Sky Blue Credit
About: Sky Blue Credit has been helping its clients rebuild their credit since 1989. It specializes in offering credit help to couples at a discounted rate, whether they want to improve their credit before getting a mortgage or for another purpose.
Users can benefit from Sky Blue’s array of credit repair services, and the company offers a transparent process that’s clearly outlined on its website, so you’ll understand how the company is working on your behalf. Sky Blue Credit also provides a 90-day guarantee that lets you get a refund if you’re not satisfied with its services.
Sky Blue Credit has two recent CFPB complaints, one of which was resolved in a timely manner. The other remains unresolved, but the complaint itself simply states that the company didn’t help repair their credit. It’s worth noting that credit repair companies don’t guarantee they can fix your credit.
Plan information and costs
- Individual – $79 per month, plus $79 initial work fee. Services: professional credit analysis, custom dispute and re-dispute letters, score assistance, debt validation, cease and desist letters, goodwill letters, free credit reports, and more.
- Couple – $119 per month, plus $119 initial work fee. Services: all the services of the individual plan for you and your partner.
Sky Blue Credit is our pick for couples interested in repairing their credit together. Unlike some companies that charge full prices for each individual, Sky Blue Credit offers a special discount for couples. This makes it a great option if you want to work as a team to better your financial situation in general or in advance of a home purchase.
5. Best for DIY credit repair: Credit Versio
About: Founded in 2020, Credit Versio is a newer alternative to traditional credit repair services, which rely primarily on real people to identify and dispute inaccuracies in your credit reports. Instead, it uses AI technology to analyze your credit reports, spot negative accounts, and formulate a dispute strategy. From there, Credit Versio helps you create dispute letters, which you send to the credit bureaus through its platform. It then tracks your results and documents your progress in monthly reports.
Because this platform relies in part on technology to help improve your credit, it costs significantly less than traditional credit repair services. Credit Versio has no recent complaints with the CFPB.
Plan information and costs
- smartcredit Basic – $19.95 per month. Services: unlimited monthly disputes, monthly credit scores and reports from the three bureaus, $1 million in identity theft insurance, credit monitoring and alerts, money management tool, and two monthly TransUnion credit reports and scores.
- smartcredit Premium – $29.95 per month. Services: all the features of smartcredit Basic, plus unlimited TransUnion credit reports and scores.
- Identity HQ – $29.99 per month. Services: unlimited monthly disputes, monthly credit scores and reports from the three bureaus, $1 million in identity theft insurance, real-time three-bureau credit monitoring, and family identity theft protection up to $25,000 per instance.
Credit Versio is a good option if you’re open to a hybrid credit repair company with a lower price tag than a traditional credit repair service. Instead of taking credit repair off your plate entirely, Credit Versio’s technology helps you with the process, so you’ll need to be committed to using this platform to see results.
What to know about credit repair companies
There’s not one specific menu of services or pricing model for credit repair companies. Instead, you’ll find that each offers different features, and while many companies charge a monthly fee, this isn’t true in all cases. For this reason, it’s essential to compare companies to find the best credit repair service for your situation.
Alternatively, you can also do most of what credit repair companies do independently. If you notice inaccuracies or incomplete information on your credit report, it’s possible to contact the three major credit bureaus or your creditors directly to resolve the issue. But for those with significant credit issues, working with a credit repair service could save you time and potential headaches.
How to choose a credit repair company
If a credit repair company sounds right for your situation, here’s what to compare as you research companies.
- Transparency: Reputable companies will be upfront and clear about their pricing and services offered. Seek out companies that provide detailed information on their websites, and steer clear of those that aren’t transparent about their offerings.
- Services and features: As mentioned, different companies offer varying services, including free initial consultations, dispute letters, credit repair, credit education, and access to credit reports among other services. Find one with services that best suit your situation.
- Pricing: Pricing models also vary, often depending on the level of service you require. Look into pricing to find a plan that meets your needs and budget.
- Customer service: You’ll want to compare each credit repair company’s customer service channels to ensure you can reach a representative if needed.
- Company reputation: Review company websites and history, and look at company profiles on sites like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s compliant database, Trustpilot, the Better Business Bureau, and other consumer review sites. Doing so will provide some insight into whether a company is reputable and trustworthy.
- Cancellation policy: Some credit repair services offer more flexible cancellation policies than others, and policy information is often available on company websites. Read over cancellation policies and look into any guarantees companies may offer. For instance, some provide a 90-day money-back guarantee if you don’t see inaccuracies removed from your credit reports.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the best credit repair company?
The best credit repair company for you will depend on your needs and budget. Each company offers an array of different services and pricing models, so comparing options can help you find a company that suits your situation. Some top companies include Credit Saint, The Credit People, The Credit Pros, Sky Blue, and Credit Versio.
Can you really pay someone to fix your credit?
Yes, it’s possible to pay a credit repair company to help dispute inaccurate or incomplete information on your credit reports. Getting this information removed could help improve your credit. That said, credit repair companies don’t guarantee they’ll fix your credit.
What’s the fastest way to fix your credit?
Several actions could help you fix your credit, including contacting the credit bureaus to get inaccurate or incomplete information removed from your credit reports, paying down credit card debt, making on-time payments, increasing your credit limits, and limiting the number of new accounts you open.
To develop our list of the best credit repair companies, we researched and analyzed over a dozen companies in the market. In our analysis, we considered factors like transparency, pricing, services provided, and company reputation. We also weighed other things like overall customer experience, customer satisfaction, and whether companies had any recent regulatory action taken against them.